Service efficiency
Jan 6, 2023

Staying on top of the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR)

Mark Topps explains the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations, what accidents you need to report, how to report them and simple tips to stay on top of RIDDOR.

Mark Topps
Mark Topps
Regional Business Manager

Table of contents

As the Registered Manager, you're responsible for ensuring all accidents, incidents and near-misses are reported to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). In this guide, I'll explain what RIDDOR is, what accidents you need to report, how to report them and simple tips to stay on top of RIDDOR.

What is RIDDOR?

RIDDOR is the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 and was revised on 1st October 2013 (RIDDOR 2013). This legislation was introduced to try and add a more structured approach to how employers report any health and safety-related issues in the workplace and therefore applies to all health and social care providers.  

What accidents do you need to report?

RIDDOR puts duties on employers and those that are self-employed to report the following:

  • The death of any person in the workplace
  • Specific injuries to workers including:
  1. fractures, other than to fingers, thumbs and toes
  2. amputations
  3. any injury likely to lead to permanent loss of sight or reduction in sight
  4. any crush injury to the head or torso causing damage to the brain or internal organs
  5. serious burns (including scalding) which:
  6. covers more than 10% of the body
  7. causes significant damage to the eyes, respiratory system or other vital organs
  8. any scalping requiring hospital treatment
  9. any loss of consciousness caused by head injury or asphyxia
  10. any other injury arising from working in an enclosed space which:
  11. leads to hypothermia or heat-induced illness
  12. requires resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours

Further guidance on specific injuries can be found here.  

  • Over seven-day incapacitation of a worker. Accidents must be reported when they result in an employee or self-employed person being away from work, or unable to perform their normal work duties, for more than seven consecutive days as the result of their injury. This seven-day period does not include the day of the accident but does include weekends and rest days. The report must be made within 15 days of the accident.  
  • Over three-day incapacitation of a worker. Accidents must be recorded, but not reported when they result in a worker being incapacitated for more than three consecutive days.  
  • Non-fatal accidents to non-workers (visitors, contractors etc). Accidents to members of the public or others who are not at work must be reported if they result in an injury and the person is taken directly from the scene of the accident to hospital for treatment of that injury. Examinations and diagnostic tests do not constitute 'treatment' in such circumstances. There is no need to report incidents where people are taken to hospital purely as a precaution when no injury is apparent.
  • Occupational diseases that have been caused or made worse by their work must be reported and include:
  1. Carpal tunnel syndrome.
  2. Severe cramp of the hand or forearm.
  3. Occupational dermatitis.
  4. Hand-arm vibration syndrome.
  5. Occupational asthma.
  6. Tendonitis or tenosynovitis of the hand or forearm.
  7. Any occupational cancer.
  8. Any disease attributed to an occupational exposure to a biological agent.

Further guidance on occupational diseases can be found here.

When do you need to report?

All reportable events must be notified to the HSE and enforcing authority (police, fire, ambulance etc) without delay.

  • A report to the HSE must be no later than 10 days after the incident.
  • 7-day injuries must be reported within 15 days of the incident.
  • Disease must be reported as soon as a registered medical practitioner (RMP) notifies you in writing.

Who should report?

An employer or someone in control of the premises is responsible for reporting incidents.

How can you report?

The nature of the accident or incident will determine how you report it.  

Most accidents or incidents can be reported online here. After submission, you will receive a copy of your form via email with a reference number.

For fatal and major injuries, the incident contact centre should be contacted on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5 pm).

Now what?

Reporting the accident, incident or near-miss is not the end of the process and it's important that you:

  • Write up a detailed report that contains:
  1. The date and time of the incident/accident/near miss.
  2. When and where it took place.
  3. Details of who was involved.
  4. What happened.
  5. How it happened.  
  6. Any other facts known.
  • Review (or implement) risk assessments.  
  • Review policies and procedures (all providers should have a RIDDOR policy/procedure).
  • Notify the regulator (CQC).
  • A printed copy of the report/reference number with clear evidence of action taken/lessons learnt.
  • Records must be kept and retained for three years if an injury, disease or dangerous event occurs.
  • Review staff training.  
  • Review workplace procedures.  
  • Review displays/signage/notifications for staff to follow.

Top tips to stay on top of RIDDOR

Further information specific to health and social care can be found from the Health and Safety Executive and the CQC.

Facebook icon
Twitter logo
Linkedin logo
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
By clicking 'Accept', you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage and assist in our marketing efforts. View our Cookie Policy for more information.